Hermiston Junior Academy first opened its doors in 1929. The school was located in the former corlis Hotel building. The first year grades 1-10 were taught by Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Griffin. The students played on vacant lots near the school as a playground. This school closed around 1935 due to the depression.
In 1942 the doors were opened again, but this time in the basement of the SDA Church building then located at N.E. Fourth Street and E. Ridgeway Avenue.
The school moved again in 1960 to a location on West Division Avenue and closed in 1977.
In 1976 construction began on the current school building. The school was built by volunteers and two hired workmen. Classes began in the fall of 1977 and the building was dedicated in 1981. Located at the edge of town this new location on 13 acres gave the school room for everything it needed. The school now has a full playground, a football/soccer/baseball feild, a full gym, and an administration building where classes are held. With shade trees and views of the fields this peacful setting is pefect for educating Hermistons children for years to come.